Business901 Book Specials from other authors on Amazon

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Is Seth Godin going Lean or even Six Sigma?

In a recent Seth Godin Blog he discussed “The modern talking padseth lean

Seth went on to say:

“I think this is a big idea, but your mileage may vary. I've been having great success with a hybrid of the yellow legal pad and a printed presentation from Keynote (or Powerpoint). I use it during small meetings where more interactivity is useful, and where the group is too small for a laptop to be the best way to present slides (I think running a presentation says, "I talk, you listen...")”

You can read his entire blog but when I read it, I thought he was creating a A3 report.. He went on to say:

“Now, when you make your presentation, sit next to the person you're meeting with and go through the booklet page by page, writing directly on each page. As you work your way through the ideas in the booklet, the two of you can talk about what's in front of you and mark it up.

It's not a brochure, it's the outcome of a working session.”

I really think that I have a case for Lean Marketing, I now think I have both John Jantsch of Duct Tape Marketing and Seth Godin backed into a corner. Let me explain an A3 report and you tell me if this is what Seth was trying to get across.

A3 reports are documents used to report solutions to problems established within any area of the organization. This differs from other types of report in the way that all information is disclosed on an A3 sheet. They start by collecting people's ideas for possible countermeasures to the problems.  The template is great for clarifying your thinking. The date typically contains: Objectives, Methodology, Results, Post result analysis and Learning points. The benefits of a A3 report are:

  • Defines a standard for all to use.
  • Provides a clear and concise method of reporting information.
  • Method of operation is visible and accessible to all.
  • Can promote communication, and team working.
  • Leads to reduction of waste.
  • Continuous improvement activity.
  • Creates efficient working environment.

 

A3 Report

Your A3 report will be used anytime you wish to clearly tell a story and especially when you wish to simplify or clarify a complicated issue. Ok, if your out there Seth, is The Modern Talking Pad really a A3 report?

A3 Report Photo Courtesy of Systems2win.

Related Blog Post:

Lean Six Sigma Marketing and Duct Tape Marketing

No comments: